Python for Web Development: Pros and Cons
Is Python good for web development? If you are wondering about this, you can look at examples of what has already been developed with it. This will bring some perspective to the topic before going into pros and cons of using Python.
Did you know that Python was named after Monty Python?
One of the world’s most popular coding languages for web development, Python was first conceptualized in the late ’80s, influenced by the ABC and Modula-3 languages. It has come a long way from its first release in 1991 to the 2.0 release when it became an open-source project, and to this day it is gathering a huge, professional community that is constantly improving the technology.
Listen to “The 16 Most Important Pros and Cons of using Python for Web Development” on Spreaker.
Some of the top companies use Python in their technology stacks:
- Instagram — a social media platform that relies on Python to allow its 500 mil daily active users to photograph, edit, store, and share their creations in a person digital album.
- Spotify — a major market player and a music streaming app that incorporates data analytics to manage its Radio and Discover features.
- Disqus — this commenting plugin processes around 50 mil comments per month, and it is available in 191 countries.
Python web development suits a variety of projects, from simple to complex. It is widely used in different spheres such as travel, healthcare, transportation, finance, and many others for web development and software testing, scripting, and generation.
Our company has been one of the leaders in the use of Python for web development for the past 15 years. We implemented more than a dozen projects and filled our portfolio precisely thanks to the use of this programming language.
However, while there are many advantages to using Python for web development, there are also a few pitfalls. Let’s check pros and cons of Python in web development.
Top Pros of Using Python for Web Development
Despite the fact that Python has been around for a long time and is well known to everyone, there is often a gap in understanding its advantages over other programming languages, especially when used in web development. Let’s list some of these advantages.
Easy to Use and Read
There are several factors that simplify the use of Python for web development:
- Low entry barrier
Python is similar to the English language we use in everyday life. The simplicity of the syntax allows you to deal with intricate systems and ensure that all the elements have a clear relationship with each other. Thanks to this, more newbie coders can learn the language and join the programming community faster.
- Good visualizations
Representing data in a format that can be easily understood is achieved using different plots and charts. They are an efficient way to visually present and comprehend data. Web development companies utilize Python libraries (e.g., Matplotlib) that make it possible to visualize data and create clear and easy-to-understand reports.
Why use python for web development? Python is incredibly easy to read, so developers typically have no problems understanding code written by their fellow programmers. This makes the communication between developers working on the same project much more efficient. And a great selection of IDEs for Python development makes web programming even more comfortable. You can even create a Telegram Bot by using Python.
Mastering web development with Python offers seamless management of asynchronous code. Python eliminates deadlocks and research contention, ensuring smooth execution. Its ability to handle diverse situations independently accelerates problem-solving. This proficiency makes Python website development an optimal choice for companies aiming to expedite their product creation.
Less-Limited Programming Approach
Compared to other coding languages, such as Java, Python has a less-limited programming approach. It has multiple paradigms and can support a multitude of programming styles, including procedural, object-oriented, and functional ones. This makes Python a great language for startups since you might need to change your approach at any given moment.
Here’s what it gives you:
- Fast development.
Python is not just one of the most rapidly developing coding languages, but also one that allows for quick prototyping and iterations. This makes the work easier and far more productive for developers. This also makes Python a great language for startups, as often faster time to market means greater competitive advantage.
- OOP becomes easier.
Object-oriented programming, also known as OOP, is a paradigm that organizes different behaviors and properties into several objects and classes. Each of these classes has a function, so if an error occurs in some part of the code, the other parts are not affected. The operation of OOP is considerably simplified in Python, which makes development less costly and time-consuming.
- Rich standard library and ecosystem.
Python’s libraries feature a huge amount of pre-written code. Hence, developers don’t need to waste time creating basic items. These libraries also allow programmers to handle and transform the data required for continuous data processing in Machine Learning (ML).
Enterprise Application Integration
Python is a popular choice for enterprise software applications, largely thanks to its smooth integration with other languages traditionally used in enterprise development, such as Java, PHP, and .NET.
Python calls from and to Java, C++ or C code directly allowing considerable process control and implementation of the most common protocols and data formats.
Apart from this, it can be applied to assembling new and old fragments of infrastructure, which is a typical case in complex mobile applications.
Web Development Using Python Frameworks
Another good thing about web development using Python is that it has many frameworks that simplify the development process. Depending on what you’re doing, you may need different frameworks.
Let’s take a look at the most well-known Python frameworks.
This framework is great for fully-fledged web apps and mid-range scalable projects. It has built-in features and allows for code re-usage, coherent modification of different components of the code, and other functionality that simplifies web development in Python. Django works well with Oracle SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, and other well-known databases. Find out the best Django websites.
With this framework, you can start small and scale if needed. Pyramid can be used with various databases and applications or extended with plugins — python web developers can add whatever functionality they need. That’s handy when you need to implement various solutions in one task.
TurboGears consists of several components such as Repoze, WebOb, and Genshi, and is based on the MVC architecture. It’s good for fast and efficient web application development, which is also more maintainable. With this framework, you can write small or complex applications using minimal or full-stack modes respectively.
This framework’s philosophy is to provide a simple and manageable solution that can be easily customized. Flask defines itself as a microframework and is most commonly applied to small solutions whose main priority is lean functionality. The framework is also used for creating prototypes.
Its Use In Scientific and Numeric Applications
There are a variety of packages and libraries available for developing scientific and numeric applications, as well as toolkits (e.g., VTK 3D and MayaVi), a separate imaging library, and many other tools. The most common usage of Python in web development are:
- SciPy (Scientific Numeric Library);
- Pandas (Data Analytics Library);
- IPython (Command Shell);
- Numeric Python (Fundamental Numeric Package);
- Natural Language Toolkit (Library For Mathematical And Text Analysis).
Use In Machine Learning and AI
Machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) technologies are gaining increasingly more attention, so more developers are trying to incorporate them into various projects. This is possible if you use the right language. Using Python with web development, you open up wide opportunities for using machine learning and artificial intelligence tools.
According to Jean Francois Puget, a representative of IBM’s machine learning department, Python is the top language for ML and AI projects, and many developers agree. Python has efficient ML packages, tools for visualizing results, and goes way beyond data analysis and other features that benefit this area of application.
Read more: ML & AI in The Travel Industry
Application Scripting and Software Testing
Thanks to its strong integration with C, C++, and Java, Python can come in handy for application scripting. Designed to be embeddable from the very beginning, it can be very useful for customizing large apps and making extensions for them.
What is Python used for in web development and beyond? One more answer: test automation. Many QA automation specialists choose Python for its simple learning curve – it’s also great for those with a more limited technical background – strong community, clear syntax, and readability. Python even has an easy-to-use unit-testing frameworks (e.g., you can perform geolocation testing for mobile applications with it).
Use in Prototyping
Creating prototypes in Python has proven to be a fast and simple process. The agility of the programming language allows for easy code refactoring and quick development of the initial prototype into the final product.
Python has an open-source license that makes it easily accessible to users and facilitates redistribution and unrestricted modifications. Developers can freely use the language and contribute to its improvement.
One of the pros of using Python for server-side scripting is its simple syntax, as mentioned above, which speeds up the process significantly. The code consists of functional modules and connections between them, which allows you to execute the program algorithm based on user actions. Python also supports the graphical user interfaces required in web development.
Portability and Interactivity
Python has decent capabilities for dynamic semantics and fast prototyping, which is possible thanks to its interactivity and portability. It can easily be embedded in a wide range of apps, even ones that use different coding languages. Consequently, you can effortlessly fix new modules and extend Python’s core vocabulary. It can connect diverse components. No wonder it’s sometimes called a “glue language”.
The Cons of Python for Web Development
Some of you may ask “Why Python is not used for web development?”. Despite Python’s advantages, it also has downsides you should keep in mind if you’re considering using this language for your project.
Fewer Seasoned Developers
When you need to have an app created for you, you certainly want the most experienced developers to do the job. However, it’s not so simple with Python, since not many expert programmers are working with this language, especially when you compare it to Java.
Lack of True Multiprocessor Support
Multiprocessing is an important part of writing an application. Python does support multiprocessing, although it might not be as flexible or convenient as other languages. This can create certain limitations when you’re writing the code.
Python is often criticized for its speed. It is an interpreted script language, which makes it relatively slower than a lot of its compiled counterparts, such as C/C++ or Java, due to the different methods it uses to translate code. Yet, some Python benchmarks work faster than those of C and C++.
Some issues connected to speed have been addressed and optimized, so Python remains one of the top choices of software development teams.
Not the Go-To Language for Mobile App Development
It’s not a bad language for mobile development. It’s just that few companies use it for that purpose, preferring native development for iOS and Android or React Native development. You’ll probably have a hard time recruiting developers with experience in Python mobile development, too, for the same reason. It’s just not as popular as other technologies in this sphere.
Not Ideal for Memory-Intensive Tasks
Python is a language known for the flexibility of its data types. This results in fairly high memory consumption and makes it inconvenient to use for memory-intensive tasks.
Python is dynamically typed, meaning that it executes certain tasks during app runtime that would otherwise be completed in a statically typed language. This puts some restrictions on the design. If your design is loaded with elements, it might stall the program and prevent smooth operation.
Another thing you should be aware of when considering Python for your project is that concurrency and parallelism aren’t intended for elegant use in Python. Because of that, the design might not look as sophisticated as you’d like.
How to Use Python for Web Development
Python is widely used for web development. For 1.4% of websites worldwide, Python is the primary server-side programming language, but about 20% more use Python for scripts and extensions, connecting with 3PL, data parsing, and working with databases.
Here is a step-by-step guide to how to start web programming with Python:
- Install Python and choose a web framework. It’s simple: download the latest Python version from the official website. For web development, we strongly recommend using one of the following frameworks: Django, Flask, Pyramid, or Bottle. In Django Stars, we usually use Django. Don’t forget to install the framework you’ve chosen. For example, if you work with Django, run “pip install Django.”
- Set up the environment and start a new project. Create a separate folder for your project and activate the chosen framework. For Django, you can do it with the “django-admin startproject projectname” command.
- Configure your settings. Python frameworks have particular configuration files where you can specify database settings, security options, and other staff. Still, these settings may not be intuitive for new users, so we recommend professional help.
- Specify the logic of your website. Use the Views tool to design the response form and Templates to create a solid structure of web pages. Adding lots of involving activities and tools on the website is crucial.
- Define URL routes. In most cases, they are provided by the framework you choose, but we recommend checking it.
- Connect databases. Python is perfect for working with SQL and NoSQL databases, but it requires some skills and experience, especially in the early stages of project development.
- Customize a sales funnel. All previous actions serve a single target — to make a project profitable. So, pay additional attention to key features aimed at generating income, including payment options.
- Test and deploy. Even small web projects are impossible without bugs, so testing is an essential stage of website development. Ensure everything works as intended. Twice. After that, you may deploy your application on the server and open it publicly.
Python and web development were made for each other. Its numerous frameworks and libraries allow the design of multi-purpose websites. But if you want to use all of its might, contact us. We will help you realize all your website’s potential in Python.
Can Python be used for web development? This article was intended to provide a detailed answer to this question about using python in web development and describe the pros and cons of this programming language.
Python allows you to develop clear and simple applications that are easy to get from a small project to a full-fledged, complex app. Whether you’re a newbie programmer learning how to code or an owner of your business, Python can be a good option for many types of projects.
It’s recognized as one of the best programming languages for startups – and it’s easy to see why when you compare side-by-side Python’s advantages and what startups are all about. Startups are constantly searching for certainty and reduced risks, they have limited resources, and need room to grow. On the other hand, Python is flexible and easy to scale, doesn’t require a big team, and can be used to build prototypes and MVPs.
Additionally, Python’s compatibility with various testing frameworks, including enzyme unit testing, enhances its suitability for developing robust web applications.
Django Stars, a Python web development company, has been using the language for many years. We’ve completed various complex projects and have a number of successful examples in spheres such as e-commerce, real estate, and finance. These include:
- Sindeo – a real estate platform that provides information on lenders and mortgages.
- MoneyPark – a Swiss company that provides personalized financial advice on insurance and mortgages.
So, whichever sphere you work in, web development in Python is worth your attention. It offers simple solutions without unnecessary details, saves time, and ensures a high level of security.
Python is used and trusted by many renowned companies. Some of the largest and most trusted global firms use Python as their main coding language, along with the Django platform. Instagram, Pinterest, Bitbucket, and Dropbox are a few examples of companies that go for Python-based web development services.
Сontact Django Stars if you are looking for an experienced Python development team for your project.
- Is Python web development hard?
- In web development, Python is known for its user-friendly nature, with clear syntax and robust frameworks like Django and Flask. This makes it a suitable choice for both beginners and experienced developers. The level of difficulty largely depends on the complexity of the project. Overall, Python offers an approachable and efficient environment for developing web applications.
- Can Python be used for front end web development?
- Is Python good for backend in web development?
- Having many advantages, from the ease of learning to a large number of frameworks that simplify the development process, Python is often used for backend web application development. In addition, Python is well-equipped to work with analytics, calculations, AI and ML, and statistics.
- Is Python the right fit for Mobile App Development?
- Although it is not as popular as other technologies in this sphere, Python is not a bad language for mobile development. It’s just that few companies use it for that purpose, preferring native development for iOS and Android or React Native development. You’ll probably have a hard time recruiting developers with experience in Python mobile development, too, for the same reason.
- Why does your company prefer to use Python in web development?
- Python is easy to use and read.
- It doesn’t take much effort to write and maintain asynchronous code using Python.
- Python's less-limited programming approach allows different paradigms and programming styles, including procedural, object-oriented, and functional ones.
- Python is a popular choice for enterprise software applications, largely thanks to its smooth integration with other languages such as Java, PHP, and .NET.
- To simplify the development process, Python has many frameworks such as Django, Pyramid, TurboGears, and Flask.
- There are a variety of packages and libraries available for developing scientific and numeric applications.
- Many developers agree that Python is the top language for ML and AI projects.
- Python is handy for application scripting, software testing, and creating prototypes.
- Python has an open-source license.
- Python's simple syntax speeds up server-side scripting.
- Python is distinguished by portability and interactivity.
- What are the weaknesses of Python?
- Fewer seasoned developers (especially comparing to Java)
- Lack of true multiprocessor support
- Python is often criticized for its speed (yet, some Python benchmarks work faster than those of C and C++)
- Not the go-to language for mobile app development
- Not ideal for memory-intensive Tasks
- Design restrictions
- In what industries do you use Python?
- Django Stars, a Python web development company, has been using the language for many years. We’ve completed various complex projects and have a number of successful examples in spheres such as e-commerce, real estate, and finance. These include:
- PADI Travel – a global booking platform for scuba drivers.
- Sindeo – a real estate platform that provides information on lenders and mortgages.
- MoneyPark – a Swiss company that provides personalized financial advice on insurance and mortgages.
- Molo - the UK's first digital mortgage lender.